Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cake Pops 2

I decided to make more cake pops since I had some store bought icing left from last time. I thought it was suppose to last 3 months but read the label again and it said 30 days. Darn! Had to throw it out.

Luckily the cake was kinda moist that it held together as a ball so I didn't use any icing. I didn't go out to buy because the icing would be wasted since I'd use less than 1/3 of the icing.

I crumbled a cake that I froze previously and made into balls. I put them in the freezer to firm up.






While firming, I melted some chocolate candy chips. I put in a couple of teaspoon of oil to thin the chocolate. I'm not impressed with Wilton products. I'm not sure if I will buy their products any more. The melted chocolate candy chips were too thick to work with and adding so much oil was just too gross for me.




I decided just to cover the balls with red sparkles.




First I dipped a lollipop stick in chocolate.




Then put the cake ball on the stick. I realized without icing, the cake pop was fragile and wouldn't stay on the stick well or started to break apart. Not much I could do though but continue on.

I dipped the cake pop in the chocolate and like last time, it was too thick. Aw well, I just dipped it in the sprinkles.





You're probably wondering why some look darker than others. I ran out of white chocolate so I used regular chocolate chips, the type you make chocolate chip cookies. It was sooo much easier to work with. The texture was perfect that when I dipped the cake pops in the chocolate, it covered the cake pops with an even and smooth layer.




Here's a close up of the cake pops with sparkles.









Final Thoughts:


I'm not sure if I'll be making any cake pops soon. I'm not a fan of cake mix and store bought icing so don't really like the taste. I could make my own cake but since I don't bake cakes often, it would be a waste to crumble a homemade cake.

As well, the materials I have on hand sucks!!! The Wilton chocolate candy chips are way too thick and needs too much vegetable to thin it down (don't worry for those who received my cake pops, I used as little oil as possible). I don't have a nice food marker, again the Wilton one sucks.

All in all, it hasn't been great! Maybe if I had better materials, I would enjoy. Though, I got to admit, I got rave reviews for my Halloween ones.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment